Elections were held on Monday 4th December 1961. The Supervisor of Elections was Mr. C. A. Ramsey and the Deputy Supervisor of Elections was Mr. L. A. Clarke.
Seven hundred and fifty-two (752) Election Officers were deployed at polling stations as follows:
- Twelve (12) Returning Officers
- Fourteen (14) Election Clerks
- One hundred and ninety-seven (197) Presiding Officers
- Four hundred and nine (409) Poll Clerks
- One hundred and twenty 120) Counting Assistant
One hundred and ten (110) Polling Stations were used and the cost of renting privately-owned buildings was $15 or $20 depending on the size of the building and the amenities provided.
Sixty (60) candidates were nominated as follows:
- Barbados Labour Party (BLP) – 22
- Barbados National Party (BNP) – 12
- Demoratic Labour Party (DLP) – 16
- Independents (IND) – 10
There were 104,518 registered electors 43,342 males and 61,176 females. 61.3%, or 64,090 voted; 38.7% or 28,859 males and 61.3% or 35,231 females. The BLP received 36.8%, the BNP 22.1%, the DLP 36.3% and the IND 4.8% of the votes cast.
Twenty four (24) candidates; two (2) for each of the twelve (12) constituencies were elected to the House of Assembly as follows:
- Barbados Labour Party – 4
- Democratic Labour Party – 15
- Barbados National Party – 4
- Independents – 1
The full report can be purchased from the Electoral and Boundaries Commission – Electoral Department.