On 6th May 1986, the Governor General issued a proclamation dissolving Parliament and issued Writs appointing 18th May 1986 as Nominated Day and Wednesday 28th May 1986 as Election Day. The Supervisor of Elections was Mr. Dennis A. Smith and a Deputy Supervisor of Elections was appointed.
One thousand six hundred and ninety-five (1,695) Election Officers were deployed at the Polling Stations as follows:
- Twenty-seven (27) Returning Officers
- Twenty-eight (28) Election Clerks
- Four hundred and sixty-five(465) Presiding Officers
- Nine hundred and fifty-seven (957) Poll Clerks
- Two hundred and eighteen (218) Counting Assistants
There were four hundred and forty (440) Polling Stations in two hundred and fifty-three (253) buildings and the cost of renting privately owned buildings ranged from $100 to $150 depending on the facilities provided.
Sixty-one (61) candidates were nominated as follows:
- Barbados Labour Party (BLP) – 27
- Demoratic Labour Party (DLP) – 27
- Workers Party of Barbados (WPB) – 12
- Independents (IND) – 6
There were 176,739 registered electors, 81,805 males and 94,934 females of which 76.7%, or 135,562 voted – 61,930 males and 73,632 females. The BLP received 40.4%, DLP – 59.4%, WPB 0.03% and IND 0.2% of the votes cast.
The election of members to serve in the House of Assembly was as follows: –
- Barbados Labour Party – 3
- Democratic Labour Party – 24
- Workers Party of Barbados – 0
- Independents – 0
The full report can be purchased from the Electoral and Boundaries Commission – Electoral Department.