The Writs for the Election were issued on 20th December 2007 appointing Nomination Day as Thursday 31 December 2007 and Election Day as Thursday 15 January 2008. Wednesday 9th January 2008 was appointed the Polling Day for the Foreign Service Electors and Wednesday 9th January 2008 the Special Polling Day for Election Officers.
The Supervisor of Elections was Mrs. Angela Taylor, the Deputy Supervisor of Elections was Mr. Ian Browne and Mr. Hensley H. Robinson was appointed as a Consultant.
There were two thousand two hundred and forty-five (2,245) Election Officers deployed at the Polling Stations as follows: –
- Thirty (30) Returning Officers
- Thirty (30) Election Clerks
- Five hundred and thirty-six (536) Presiding Officers
- One thousand Two hundred and sixty-seven (1267) Poll Clerks
- Two hundred and fifty (250) Counting Assistants
- Forty-four (44) Clerical Assistants
- Fifty-eight(58) Special Poll Clerks
- Thirty (30) Special Presiding Officers
There were 313 Polling Stations, 536 polling divisions in 256 buildings and the cost of renting privately owned buildings ranged from $400 to $500.
Sixty-eight (68) candidates were nominated as follows: –
- Barbados Labour Party (BLP) – 30
- Democratic Labour Party (DLP) – 30
- Peoples Empowerment Party (PEP) – 4
- Peoples Democratic Congress (PDC) – 2
- Independents (IND) – 2
There were 235,510 registered electors, 112,162 males and 123,348 females. There were 1,378 Election Officers registered to vote on the Special Polling Day and 31 Foreign Service Officers registered to vote on the Polling Day for Foreign Service Officers. Of the 235,510 registered electors, 63.5% or 149,633 voted – 67,690 males and 81,943 females. The DLP received 52.6%, BLP 47.3%, IND 0.1%, PEP 0.3% and PDC 0.06% of the votes cast.
The election of Members to serve in the House of Assembly was as follows:-
- Barbados Labour Party – 10
- Democratic Labour Party – 20
- Peoples Empowerment Party – 0
- Peoples Democratic Congress – 0
- Independent – 0
The full report can be purchased from the Electoral and Boundaries Commission – Electoral Department.