Email:   /    Call: (246) 535-4800

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s) about Registration


What are the qualifications for National Registration and the issuance of the Barbados Identification card?
  • A person is qualified to be registered if he/she is:

a) a citizen of Barbados or

b) a citizen of a country other than Barbados who is granted permission by the Chief Immigration Officer to remain in Barbados for a period of not less than six (6) months.

Would a visitor to Barbados who stays over six (6) months qualify for registration and receive the ID card?

No, visitors do not qualify for registration. Applicants who are citizens of countries other than Barbados and who meet the residential requirements for registration must have been granted by the Chief Immigration Officer, either of the following: – 


i. Immigrant status

ii. A Work Permit (valid for six (6) months or more)

iii. Permanent Residence

iv. A Student Visa (valid for six (6) months or more

v. CDB staff & dependants status 

vi. CARICOM Skilled Graduate Status

vii. Rights of Establishment

What documents are Barbadians required to produce when registering?
  • A person aged sixteen (16) years and over is required to personally provide, evidence in support of his/her qualification for registration. This inclues one or more of the following documents listed below: 


i. Birth Certificate

ii. Marriage Certificate

iii. Passport

iv. Affadavit – must be registered

v. Deed Poll – must be registered 

vi. Decree Absolute

vii. Citizenship – For a person who was not born in Barbados and who has been granted this status by the Chief Immigration Officer.

viii. Barbadians resident overseas can produce a valid passport of that country along with their Barbados birth certificae for verification of name by marriage.

What documents are Non-Barbadians required to produce when registering?
  • Non-Barbadians citizens are required to produce:

i. An original birth certificate OR a valid passport endorsed by the Chief Immigration Officer

ii. An original document, which is valid for six (6) months or more, indicating the status given by the Chief Immigration Officer.

What Immigration documents are required?
  • The documents are a stamped passport and a letter granting one of the following statuses:

i. Permanent Resident

ii. Immigrant Status

iii. Student Visa Entry Permit

iv. Work Permit

v. Caricom Skilled Graduate Status

vi. Rights of Establishment Status

vii. CDB Staff & Dependants Status

viii. Special Entry Permit

ix. Reside & Work

xi. Barbados Welcome Stamp

xii. Right to Establishment

xiii. Citizenship

xiv. Spouses of persons with long term Work Permits

Who can register a child under 16 years of age?
  • A minor under the age of sixteen (16) years must be registered by:

i. A parent who is over the age of sixteen (16) years or

ii. A guardian who is over the age of eighteen (18) years

  • The parent/guardian must produce the following documents:

i. Child’s original birth certificate OR a valid passport AND

ii. Parent’s/guardian’s ID card

A parent who is a registrant (has an ID card) must sign for the child. However, if neither parent qualifies for the ID card, then a qualified guardian can sign for the child, in the presence of the parent, until either parent qualifies.

What is required to change information on the ID card?
  • The documents required for a change of information to be printed on the ID card, are as follows:
Type of Change Document/s Required
Change in Date of Birth i) Birth Certificate
Change of name by marriage i) Marriage Certificate
Change of name by divorce i) Decree Absolute & Birth Certificate
Change of name for other reason

i) Birth Certificate

ii) Registrar’s Certificate

iii) Marriage Certificate

iv) Registered deed poll; (all deed polls presented by Barbadians must be adjudicated and certified by the Regisration Department)

v. Decree absolute

vi. Sworn affidavit

vii. Adoption certificate

Change of immigration status i) Immigration Document

    Under what circumstances is an ID card replaced?
    • Replacement cards are issued where:

    i. The photograph no longer bears close resemblance to the holder.

    ii. The ID card holder reaches 65 years of age.

    iii. The ID card holder has a change in date of birth or change of name or change in immigration status.

    iv. The ID card holder receives a new work permit or student visa.

    v. The ID card is lost, defaced or destroyed.

    N.B – Non-nationals are required to produce the original status documents or a certified copy from the Chief Immigration Officer, when applying for a replacement card.

      Under what circumstances is an ID card not replaced?
      • Where the previous holder of an ID card has not had his/her Work Permit, Student Visa extended but is issued by a Visitor’s Visa by the Chief Immigration Officer.

        Under what circumstances is a fee paid for an ID card?
        • A fee is paid for replacing an ID card which is lost, defaced or destroyed. The fee is waived for persons 65 years and over.

          What is the fee for replacing an ID card?
          • The fee for replacing an ID card which is lost, defaced or destroyed is $25.

            What if I become a citizen after having an ID card?
            • On submission of the citizenship document AND the previously held ID card, you may receive a new ID card.

              Is there a dress code for taking the photograph for the ID card?
              • Yes. When being photographed for the ID card, an applicant shall not wear:

              i. A hat, cap, shawl, scarf or any other form of covering for the head; or

              ii. Tinted spectacles or any other form of tinted eye glasses which prevents their eyes from being seen clearly.

              iii) A garment which does not cover the shoulders.


                Where and when can I register ?
                • Registration services are offered at the Electoral Department Office in Warrens Tower II, St. Michael, Monday to Friday, between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.